Business & Corporate Law
We provide transactional and general counsel services to the boards and management of companies regarding matters of federal and state law, as well as matters of practical business advice. Our extensive experience enables us to assist corporate clients ranging from start-up ventures to family and closely held businesses to established corporations.
We help start-up companies move from inception to business planning to initial rounds of private finance. We counsel more seasoned companies through the creation of corporate policies and benefits plans, the filing of periodic reports and the maintenance of shareholder relations. We guide companies as they enter into joint ventures and execute mergers and acquisitions.
In addition to business formation and financing, we assist our clients in:
- Management and shareholder issues
- Executive employment and compensation planning
- Contractual drafting and negotiation
- Public company disclosure issues
- Acquisition strategies
- Corporate restructuring
- Tax planning
- State and federal securities law compliance, including insider trading policies
- Intellectual property licensing and protection
- Corporate investigations
- Joint ventures
- Mediation services
We have a long tradition of serving all the legal needs of our clients. Corporate counseling involves knowledge in a multitude of legal disciplines and we have attorneys with the experience and expertise necessary to provide such service. In fact, one of our partners literally wrote the book on the legal aspects of closely held corporations in Minnesota. We can assist you in all your legal business needs. Our attorneys are certified qualified neutrals and assist in the mediation of issues for speedy and cost-effective resolution between parties.
We provide day-to-day advice on a range of employment matters: the discipline and discharge of employees, review and preparation of employee handbooks and policy manuals and negotiation of employment contracts and separation agreements. Clients often request advice on issues such as immigration law, affirmative action programs, and compliance requirements.
When litigation is unavoidable, we represent management and employees in claims of wrongful discharge (including breach of contract, defamation, emotional distress, and whistle-blower actions), all forms of discrimination (such as age, race, sex, disability, and religion), and sexual harassment. We are experienced in handling employment matters in state and federal courts as well as before local, state, and federal agencies. We also provide representation to clients with federal and state regulatory matters involving wage-hour issues, health and safety, ERISA, and unemployment compensation.
We are experienced in the drafting of non-compete agreements, and representing our business clients in actions to prevent unfair competition, trade secret misappropriation, and violation of non-compete and confidentiality agreements by former employees.
Immigration law is very broad and complex area, affecting both individuals and businesses. Our attorneys have far-reaching experience in virtually every type of immigration situation, and are comfortable in adjudicating with the various offices of the Department of Homeland Security as well as in the Immigration Court, before the Board of Immigration Appeals and Administrative Appeals Unit, and in Federal District and Appellate Courts.
Our experience in business consultation and representation uniquely positions us to provide businesses a “big picture” approach to securing the ability of employees to travel to and from and work in the United States.
Specifically, we provide the following assistance:
- permanent residency (green cards) for professionals and skilled workers
- temporary work visas for specialty-occupation or professional workers (H-1B)
- temporary work visas for skilled and unskilled workers (H-2B)
- temporary work visas for transferees from overseas business (L-1)
- work authorization documents for qualified individuals present in the United States
- appeals to administrative agencies
- compliance (I-9)
We approach each individual’s case uniquely, taking into account all of the circumstances that will affect the decision-making process.
We assist individuals in the following specific ways:
- temporary student visas at U.S. schools of secondary and higher education (F-1, M-1)
- temporary training and education visas on specific programs (J-1, H-3)
- changing from one visa classification to another
- extending visas
- family-based applications for permanent residence (green card)
- applications for naturalization (citizenship)
- travel documents for overseas travel
- application for asylum
- application for temporary protected status (TPS)
- immigration and international adoptions
- consular processing of non-immigrant and immigrant visas, with or without waivers at overseas posts
- obtaining travel documents at foreign consulates in the U.S.
- negotiating release from detention with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
International Business Transactions & Litigation
Our attorneys have broad experience in advising and representing U.S. and non-U.S. companies on a very broad range of international trade issues. Our attorneys have the knowledge and depth of legal experience to understand the complex international trade legal issues faced by exporters and importers.
Our practice covers all areas of international trade. Parker & Wenner attorneys and staff, many of whom are also fluent in a variety of languages, including Spanish and Russian, combine corporate, tax, litigation, intellectual property, employment, real estate, immigration and investment expertise to help our clients succeed in the following areas:
Setting up representative offices, joint ventures, partnerships and/or wholly owned foreign enterprises
- Import/export transactions
- Cross Boarder Mergers and acquisitions
- Agency and distribution agreements
- Intellectual property rights protection
- Technology transfer, which includes licensing, all forms of intellectual property, as well as the filing and registration of patent and trademark applications throughout the world.
- Labor issues
- Immigration – Bringing foreign personnel to the United States for employment. We work regularly with various governmental agencies that handle visas, immigration, and naturalization.
- Banking/finance issues
- Real estate issues
- Creditor’s rights
- Translation services
We offer a range of effective solutions to real estate problems and are practical about prioritizing matters and managing resources to achieve client goals. We can anticipate client needs to maximize cost and time savings. We perform services in the following areas:
- Real Property Acquisitions and Sale
- Land Use and Development
- Foreclosures, Cancellations, and Workouts
We arrange for the purchase, sale, and exchange of commercial and industrial property of all types throughout the United States. We handle leasing of commercial real estate projects of all types, including office, retail, office/warehouse, and industry. We have extensive experience representing both building tenants and owners. We also help arrange like-kind real estate exchanges under IRC Section 1031.